Vrat wale Aloo is an Indian gravy sabzi whoch is specifically made with rock salt or sendha namak to match with the customs of the fasting season of Navratri, where normal salt is avoided. It is a delicious aloo recipe that you can pair with Kuttu ki puri or chapatis.
- 3 medium size Boiled and cubed Potatoes
- 2 tablespoon Tomato puree or freshly grated tomatoes (omit if you do not eat in vrat)
- 1 tablespoon Beaten Curd (yogurt)
- 1/4 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Haldi (Turmeric powder) (omit if you do not eat in vrat)
- 1/2 teaspoon Coriander powder (omit if you do not eat in vrat)
- Salt to taste (Vrat salt – Sendha namak)
- 1/2 tablespoon Ghee
- A handful of Chopped cilantro leaves
How to make Vratwale Aloo
- Boil and cube potatoes. Assemble all the ingredients.
- In a pan heat ghee and add cumin seeds. When they start to sputter add tomato puree and curd.
- Mix and saute for 1 minute. Add in all the spices.
- Stir and bring it to boil. When the oil starts to leave the masala..
- Mix in the boiled potatoes..
- And add 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of water – depending on how thick you prefer your gravy to be.
- Bring it to boil, garnish with cilantro leaves.
- Serve hot with Kuttu ki poori.