Sabudana Khichdi – a pilaf/pulao made with sago/tapioca pearls! This vegan and gluten-free dish is extremely popular in India during the fasting season of Navratri. However if you ask me, you don’t really need an occasion to make and devour it.
This khichdi is extremely simple and yet so flavorful. I love my sabudana khichdi with yogurt on the side.
Ingredients For Sabudana Khichdi
- 1 Cup Sabudana (Sago / Tapioca Pearls)
- 2 Medium Sized Potatoes, boiled
- 2 Tomatoes
- 1/4 Cup Peanuts
- 1-2 Green Chillies (Hari Mirchi)
- 1 Teaspoon Black Mustard Seeds (Rai)
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder (Lal Mirch)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper Powder (Kali Mirch)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt or Rock Salt (Sendha Namak)
- 2 Tablespoons Clarified Butter (Ghee)
Step By Step Instructions With Photos for Sabudana Khichdi Recipe
- Wash the Sabudana (Tapioca Pearls) with water 4-5 times till the water runs clear, then drain the water. Soak the Sabudana for 5-8 hours or overnight.
- Add Salt and Pepper to the Sabudana and mix gently with a fork.
- Heat oil in a pan and add Black Mustard Seeds (Rai). When the Mustard Seeds start to splutter, add Cumin Seeds (Jeera) to the pan.
- Add peanuts to the oil and roast them for a couple of minutes on medium flame. You can also dry roast the peanuts separately in a pan or in the microwave and add them directly.
- When the peanuts are roasted add finely chopped green chillies to the pan.
- Add Turmeric Powder & Red Chilli Powder to the pan and cook for a few seconds.
- Add chopped tomatoes to the pan and cook for a few minutes till they start to leave oil.
- Then add boiled and coarsely mashed potatoes to the pan.
- Add the sabudana pearls to the mixture and gently mix with a fork. Take care not to mash the sabudana.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let the sabudana khichdi cook for 3-5 minutes. The sabudana will start to become translucent as they cook. You can also microwave the khichdi to cook it.
Sabudana Khichdi is ready. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve it hot.